Smokey. Cheesy. Delicious. Dinner’s ready, and it’s a Smoked Mac and Cheese brought to you by Greg and Kathy Powell of Auburn. “
The boys and I gave Greg the smoker for Father’s Day, so we stumbled upon the recipe when looking for good smoker recipes,” shared Kathy. “After Greg made it the first time, we were hooked! The smokiness really shines with this recipe. We also love that it is an easy recipe that feeds a lot – perfect for gatherings.”
This family of four loves to entertain and host themed dinner parties. Whether it’s Christmas, Halloween, or a birthday, they go all out with parties that are larger than life! They value making memories with one another and their friends. Kathy often focuses on the theme and activities while Greg prepares the meals. “
This life is precious – so we work to live it as fully as we can,” shared Kathy.
Greg and Kathy have been married 21 years and have two boys, Harrison, who is in 10th grade at Auburn High, and William, who is in eighth grade at Auburn Junior High. The family has a full and very community-driven calendar. Greg is a real-tor for Magnolia Reality and serves as the finance chair for their church, Embrace Church. Kathy has her own State Farm agency and is in the process of open-ing her second. Harrison plays the tenor saxophone for the award-winning Auburn High school band, and William is an avid basketball player. “
Both boys inherited our love for wanderlust and travel,” shared Kathy. Because of this, Kathy and Greg feel that ex-periences are the best gifts to give their boys. Whether they are enjoy-ing concerts and plays at the Jay and Susie Gogue Performing Arts Center right here in Auburn or travel-ing throughout the U.S. and beyond, the Powell’s know that the memories made will be ones to last a lifetime.
Like all busy families, dinner time can be challenging. Eating at home is usually the goal, and outside of some conve-nience meals during the week, Greg and Kathy are long-time Hello Fresh customers. They love the variety of home-cooked meals it of-fers. Not to mention how quick and easy the preparation is.
Greg and Kathy’s Smoked Mac and Cheese is the most requested dish when the family gathers with friends. Kathy prefers eating hers with smoked salmon, whereas the boys love this cheesy classic with bacon.
Smoked Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 Stick of Butter
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded colby cheese
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Seasoning of your preference
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat.
- Place uncooked macaroni in a large disposable aluminum pan.
- Sprinkle the cheeses on top of pasta.
- Pour milk and cream on cheeses.
- Pour butter over mixture.
- Add seasonings as you wish (my preferences is a couple of tablespoons of Tony Chachere’s or any BBQ rub).
- Stir mixture.
- Preheat smoker and wood chips around 225-250°. Place dish in smoker for approximately 2 hours. For the first hour or so, stir the mixture every 15 minutes. This allows that good smokey flavor to mix throughout the dish. The top won’t get too dark after 2 hours in a smoker. If you desire the top to be dark and melty, place in a broiler for 5 to 10 minutes. Easily double this recipe by using a deep 10” x 13” aluminum pan.
Gabriele has been married to her hus-band Daniel for 16 years. Together they have three incredible children. In addition to freelane writing, she is a full time Pink Cadillac Sales Director for Mary Kay Cosmetics.